1) Winter YA Books I Can't Wait to Read (and have recently pre-ordered):
2) Author/artist Stephanie Ruble has created two gorgeous whimsical illustrations of whales and is donating digital prints via The Ripple Project to anyone who donates $10 to The Institute for Marine Mammal Studies or The International Bird Rescue Research Center.
* Head over to Ripple Sketches for details on how to obtain your print.
3) Sign UNIFEM's petition: Say NO to sexual violence against women in conflict and ask your government to make the United Nations Security Council resolution 1325 a reality.
Women and girls hardly ever fight the world's wars, but they often suffer the most. Increasingly, they are the direct targets of fighting, when sexual violence is deliberately used as a tactic of warfare.
And yet fewer than 10 percent of the people who negotiate peace deals are women, and only about three dozen individuals have been convicted and jailed by international war crimes tribunals for committing or commanding widespread sexual violence.
Add your name to this petition and ask your government to support three steps to implement Security Council resolution 1325:
• Prosecute those who command and/or commit sexual violence and exclude them from armies and police forces after conflict.
• Ensure that women participate in peace negotiations and all post-conflict decision-making institutions.
• Increase the number of women in troops, police forces and civilians within international peacekeeping efforts.
Anyone who has a problem with the way they were treated by authorities can file a formal complaint at The Office Of the Independent Police Review Director.